Sunday 9 October 2011

My Design Process or "My mind is an over 9K TB HDD"

  It has been a long time since I last made something that I could show to the world and be generally proud of it. A 1 minute and 11 seconds long animation done entirely in After Effects with a thin line of Premier Pro editing. Shall we begin.
  The project that I eventually called "Just a Reminder" was initially a try of one animation technique. It started of with an idea of zooming down to Earth and even inside of it to, eventually, get to its centre where you could find something interesting. I started doing that with no sketches, just watching tutorials on the go and keeping everything inside my brain. I soon understood that this is going further than just a trial and that it might have an idea that could impact peoples hearts in the end.
  The project required lots of pictures that you could find on the web for free. While searching for some particular picture of Earth I stumbled upon an image from a video game called Mass Effect. The game took place in every single corner of our galaxy about 150 years form now. I did not find the picture but I became obsessed with the idea of making a social commercial for people living in a far future. As I assumed in 150 years, especially if the events would follow the pre-Mass Effect scenario, human race will be scattered all over the Milky Way and remembering where you are originally from would become a social, political, religious and a very personal issue. It is crucial not to forget your roots. So this is what the project was all about. Remembering.
  By working hard, day and night, non stop for two weeks I finally made this, a video that made its way through time and space and now is somehow registered on planet Earth in 2157. Take a look:

 

The initial zoom project
98 layers in AE & 3D Cam
Fast fall to the city of Milan 
The Heart of the Earth

You can see the eyelashes in top-right
STATISTICS:


Max layers -98
7 sequences
40 images (aprox.)
2 weeks hard work
71 second result
1 QuadCore 8GB RAM computer - nearly fried

First Contact War. ME. 2157.




                                               













This is the tutorial for the original technique I used:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/earth_zoom/

Thank you for getting this far.
Cheers,
Ed







No comments:

Post a Comment