Thursday 10 May 2012

Long Live Interactive


 It was a while since the interactive project was finished and I have been up doing all sorts of other things, from laying round reading books to working my sweat out on the 3D environments project, and now, when I have a my mind off those things I turn my head back to my interactive project and some unfinished business we still have left. The next sentences are going to put a start to my DP2 Interactive self evaluation.
 The project in whole began and carried on very slowly, as if there was all the time in the world to make it. I really like the chilled out and sincere tutors we had on this module, they made me feel safe about my coding skills, which, if honestly, are next to nothing. 

 I tried to do my best to create my own custom layout and make the whole thing interesting, accessible and informative. I spent many days just figuring out the style I want everything to be in. At first, I had everything round up to the 80’s Miami style like the one you can see in “Starsky & Hutch” films, but soon the idea became obsolete, because, as my tutors suggested, it was too bright and old-fashioned, and it did not represent me the way I am. I wanted to disagree, but there was really no time for quarrel, and I did not start making the backgrounds or anything, so there really was nothing to lose. It had to go and I stuck with the modernistic “the less the better” approach. The only things that Miami has left was the neon tubes on my logo and a few flashy images. 
 When I finally go to the technical part of the website, I found myself in a weird situation, as I was almost completely unaware of how the Adobe Dreamweaver works and even with all the tutorials the things I had been planning to create were just too advanced. After a many days of struggling I had to give up another array of ideas I had in favor of something more basic but practical. I also had to scrap the code I wrote myself, as it had too many loose ends and was tough to navigate, so I took the template we were provided.
 It was a disaster for me. Almost all of my ideas were gone and I had less than a week to build the website. I realized that I spent too much time on “fighting the windmills”, never actually thinking that things might just go wrong at any moment. Luckily, with me I had enough ideas to last a few more websites, so I just jumped into it.
 A few sleepless nights just before the presentation and the website was done. I looked simple but attractive enough for me to feel respect for my work and the notion that I have actually done something that I like.
 Nothing in this project went smoothly for me and the presentation was not an exception. I dedicated all my time to making the website and the Project Book the best I could, and I completely neglected the presentation. That was a huge mistake on my part, and when I came to do my presentation, the tutors were nice enough to present my work through my project book. I made my best effort to presenting it that way and it would have gone well, if only the next thing did not happen. For an unknown reason the computers we showed our presentations on could not open the archive I had put my files into. Even when my friend sent me all the files a few time through the email the whole thing just did not work. I was devastated, but I did not stop me from submitting my work to the drop box on the same day, so at least that helped. 
 Either way, this project was a good lesson to me, as I know now that you just cannot leave important things hanging, and always have a backup for your projects, whatever you are doing. From that time I returned to this project only now, tweaked it a little bit, now I am ready to show you the final result. Here are the screenshots of my finished and slightly modified website, enjoy.









Cheers, Ed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment